Feeding your dog raw doesn't necessarily means feeding only meat, neither it is difficult to feed your dog raw. You may feed herb, fruits, berries, and leafy vegetables as well as meaty organ and raw bones. Raw food has the benefit of cleaner teeth and fresher breath.
Whether to feed raw or not?
1) Do your own research and consider both angles.
Some people are fanatical about raw feeding and others will tell you it will kill your dog(There is a lot of such information over the internet. Pet food industry is funding scientist to disprove raw dog food. Raw food obviously affects their business.
The truth lies somewhere in between.
2) Make notes of your dog's pre-raw state and changes you note after switching.
That's the only real way you'll know if it is beneficial, right?
3) Older dogs can take longer to adjust to raw after kibble.
I made the switch with an older dog and a puppy.
The older dog had some digestion issues in the conversion and the puppy took to it right away. The older dog did adjust and her health and temperament improved noticeably.
4) Disclose your feeding to your vet;
To help identify any problems. Be aware that not all vets agree with the diet, but acceptance by vets is growing.
5) It is an EXPENSIVE diet compared to commercial foods.
Do the math on your dog size. There are some raw food dog calculators online which can help you figure out your dog to food ratio.
6) shop sales and clearance and ethnic markets.
Dogs do have a different digestive system than humans and process food faster and with more acid. If a coyote or wolf can eat a decomposing carcass, your dog can eat clearance meats.
7) Don't be afraid to give your dog leftovers.
This not only varies their diet but helps you not waste food. You may give dogs leftover pasta, salads, soups, and other meals. Do this within reason and food that hurt you will hurt them - pizza, fast food etc. Also avoid dangerous foods - chocolates, raisins etc. But keep in mind that humans have had dogs for thousands of years and commercial dog food for maybe a 100 of those years.
Raw food for dogs
Professional dog organizations such as racing dogs, police dog or sniffer dogs are feeding raw diets all over the world. This is because dogs are primarily carnivorous animals. By feeding raw food dogs get readily available nutrition.
Yet raw feeding is not in vogue in-house dogs. Dog food industry is an enormous business. Modern pet industry would never want the truth about dog food to be made public.
Commercial pet industry never acknowledges that raw dog food is healthy, they like to spread the word that Raw food is dirty through their team of experts.
When it comes to feeding dogs veterinarian as well as pet owners care for two things
Raw dog food is not cooked so the nutritional integrity of food is preserved. Commercially available kibbles involve high-pressure cooking. Consequently, in this process, many vitamins and minerals, as well as amino acids, are lost. Nutritional enzymes are lost to almost nil.
Raw dog food should be free from harmful bacteria. Therefore, it is preferred to feed dogs freshly cut meat in place of commercially available raw pet food.
A dogs diet should be complete and balanced. Complete means diet should have all the essential nutrients.
What are the advantages of raw dog food!
- Greater immunity- This is why wolves in the wild rarely fall sick. Dogs on raw food have a healthier immune system. They have fewer wounds in their body. more resistant to ticks and mites.
- Less dental problems- Raw food needs to be torn. The tooth will get the much-needed message of gum and more blood circulation.
- Reduces obesity- The common problem of feeding commercial food is obesity. Commercial food has corn and starch as the fillers, these leads to obesity. Raw food has more protein and less carbohydrate, just opposite of commercial pet food.
- Shinier fur- The raw meat contains all essential fatty acids, therefore shinier coat
- Better Digestion- Dog have short digestive tracts. Their digestive system is such that they can digest meat more readily than plant material. Therefore, raw meat is digested more readily and saves energy in digesting plant material.
- Allergies especially food allergy shall be the thing of the past.
- Lesser diseases such as Diabetes, Pancreatitis, Irritable bowel syndrome, Chronic Diarrhea.
Raw diets can be classified into two types
1. Homemade raw diets
For homemade raw dog diet, I have written another article. There are lots of homemade raw dog food on youtube.
here are some
2.Commercial Raw Diets
Click here to get a list of commercially available raw dog food.
Commercial raw food
There are lots of commercial dog foods available.
Some sites on raw dog food