Homemade food is better for dogs and extends longevity. the commercial food contains many additives.
These things are carcinogenic, and this food also contains many hormones, therefore, the dogs eating this food, as most dogs do, suffer from many hormonal problems. They suffer from hypothyroidism, Cushing's disease etc. Hence, many caring dog owners are now giving their loved ones natural food.
Homemade food is better but this idea is generally not propagated by food companies for right reasons. Instead food companies generally say against homemade dog food.
Before going to see the ideas of homemade food let's see what are the benefits of home food:
- Lesser dental problems- This is the number one benefit. This includes many other benefits, such as your dog have to chew the food, therefore, there shall less food stuck in tooth, no dental carries. No bad breath either.
- Fewer kidney problems- Commercial food are generally rich in protein, feeding protein rich diet continuously makes the dog's kidney to work more. Therefore, there shall be more chance of partial or full renal failure. There are several reports that says dogs and cats fed with pet food contaminated by industrial waste gives rise to kidney failure. According to news in washington posts cases of kidney failure has risen by 30 percent among cats.
- Fewer chances of cancer- Artificial flavour, artificial color in dog's diet and so many so-called "good additives " increases chances of mutation in cells and attributing to cancers.
- Natural antioxidants Anti oxidants as we know are also known as anti aging factor. These anti oxidants are naturally present in natural food especially fruits. antioxidants are destroyed by cooking process.
Homemade food ideas vary from country to country, depending on food habit of people of that region. Here is a summary of those ideas or practices.
Foods to give
For an adult dog
Rice, raw and boiled Vegetables, potato, milk products such as cottage cheese, Curd, Whey, pressure cooked chicken and mutton, Eggs, fruits such as apple, mango, litchi, Papaya, Banana, Fish.
Foods to Avoid
Oil. Salt, Sugar, Chocolate, Milk. Among vegetable tomatoes, onion and garlic are avoided. Among fruits, Grapes, Orange, and all other citrus fruits are avoided. Beside these resins, avocado, cakes, alcohol are avoided.
Feeding Schedule for an Adult Dog
Anyone of these
- Rice and chicken boiled
- Potato and chicken boiled
- rice and mutton
- 2 to 3 boiled Eggs
- some commercial food dipped in curd
Pressure cook Rice, Lentil, Vegetable, potato, chicken or mutton and serve with mild salt sprinkled on it. Please note that quantity of Rice and Lentil should be equal to the amount of chicken or mutton or beef.
you may cook the above food in large quantity and keep it refrigerated and may be fed to the dog as a meal.
An adult dog is fed once or twice daily, so there is hardly any need for dinner, but in Asian countries, pet owners tend to feed the dog at night as dinner. If a dinner is to be fed it should be very light not exceeding 100 gms.
Some interesting video
For raw food ideas
Therefore, follow these Homemade food ideas for dogs to make him live longer