In the recent scientific study, it is proven that cat litter sickness is associated to toxoplasmosis in cats and man. Toxoplasmosis in human causes schizophrenia.
Cats, themselves, don't seem from to suffer toxoplasma's ill effects. They pick up the parasite by eating infected rodents, such as rats or mice or voles.
Cats poop can give you schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
"Toxoplasma gondii" affects human brain and shows psychotic symptoms similar to those displayed by persons with schizophrenia.
In France where the Toxoplasma-infected person is highest in the world, cases of Schizophrenia among those infected with Toxoplasma is seen as much as 50 percent. Similarly, in UK 41 percent of Toxoplasma associated person is schizophrenic. Thus, there is a clear association of schizophrenia with Toxoplasmosis.
E. Fuller Torrey, a psychiatry professor at the Uniformed Services University of Health Science was first to recognise biological cause of mental illnesses.
Studies conducted at John Hopkins University confirms in one of its studies high rate of schizophrenia among Toxoplasma-infected soldiers.
There is no treatment for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Therefore, Prevention is the only cure.
No, they are not asking you to get rid of your cat!!
Just minimize exposure of young children to cats. Maybe better to give them a dog to play with than a proud cat!! The aim should be to avoid exposure of cats poop to small children and not cats.
Additionally, here are the things you can do stop yourself go crazy through your cat:
- Take extra care while handling cat litter tray. People having some chronic disease and children should not be allowed to handle cat litter tray.
- Always wear gloves while handling cat litter tray and wash hands afterward.
- take measures to prevent infection with Toxoplasma gondii to cats themselves. Properly cooked food or commercial cat food prevents your cat from getting infected.
- Wash hands after handling the cat, especially before eating.
- keep the cats indoors to prevent them from hunting down voles and mice. Voles and mice are the intermediate hosts of Toxoplasma gondii.
High cases of toxoplasmosis recently
Global warming is the cause of the recent surge of toxoplasmosis in human. We expect more cases of toxoplasmosis in future. The reason for this increase is
1. the rise of mean temperature in the northern hemisphere.
2. an increase in weather extremes
3. An increase in rain.
Such temperature variation is more severe in northwestern European countries such as Ireland, the United Kingdom, Belgium, the Netherlands, Northern Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Iceland. Luxembourg, NorthernFrance, Southern Germany, and Switzerland.
Consequently, We need to take measures to slow down global warming at any cost!
This author wrote another article on increase in Lyme in North America due to global warming.