Dreadful Cushing’s disease among poodle and spitz is on rising. I searched over internet and saw that the cases are rising all over the world. In my town, I have seen this case more on cases of unvaccinated adults.
Therefore, It is important t to understand this disease.
What causes the Cushing’s disease
There is an increase in levels of cortisone in blood. Among many other causes, this is due to a tumour in the Pituitary gland.
Signs of Cushing’s disease-
- Increased thirst and urination. Urinary incontinence
- Increased panting
- hair loss
- Potbelly appearance despite low-calorie intake
- Irritability and restless(Biting tendency?)
- Thinning of skin, change in colour of skin
- Hind limb weakness
- Decrease in libido
- less sleep
- Increase in appetite- in 80% of cases
Cortisol-induced alkaline phosphatase test
Depends upon the cause, if it is due to hyperadrenocorticism then therapy is aimed at reducing the of cortisol in the blood. Ketoconazole, Trilostane or selegiline. Consult your veterinarian.