Homemade vegetarian dog food
My earlier post on making a pet vegetarian received too much traffic. Therefore,I have attempted to write some tried and tested food recipe for veggie dogs:
- Pulses soaked overnight are pressure cooked along with vegetables and served with mild salt.
- Fruit Salad-Strawberries, blueberries, apples, cantaloupe, watermelon and bananas all are great for your dog
- Here is a vegetarian food recipe for a veggie dog from peta.org
- Homemade Sweet Potato–Peanut Butter Vegan-Dog Delight
Adapted from a recipe by Corinne Alexaki
6 cups filtered water
1/2 cup whole-grain rice
1/2 cup black or white quinoa
1 cup lentils
3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
3 cups or 24 oz. natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups or 8–12 oz. apple cider vinegar, optional (Vinegar helps stop doggie gas, but if your dog doesn’t have this problem, you can omit it.)
For Each Serving:
1 Tbsp. flaxseed oil (Store in the fridge.)
200–250 mg cranberry extract (Vegan dogs, especially, can benefit from this acidifier to maintain a healthy urinary pH.)
multi vitamin powder
125 mg or 1/4 pill PB8 brand probiotic such as gutwell
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the rice, quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the rice, quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes are very soft and well cooked. Stir occasionally and add more water as needed. When fully cooked, remove from the heat.
- Add the peanut butter and vinegar (if using) and stir well.
- Place 3 to 5 servings (1 serving is about 2/3 cup*) in the refrigerator and store the rest in the freezer.
- Just before serving, mix in the flaxseed oil, cranberry extract, Vegedog, Prozyme Plus, and PB8. Serve twice daily.
Commercial vegetarian dog food
Here are some commercial vegetarian dog food. These are considered better than homemade vegetarian dog food because you do not have to worry about adding vitamins and probiotic in diet. These food are balanced food taking care of your dog’s nutrient requirements.
A few more