Foods to avoid for dogs
Here is a list of food that should not be fed to dogs. Moreover, This acts like slow poison. Consequently, your dog will suffer from kidney or liver failure. Renal failure is a major noninfectious cause of untimely death of dogs.
|Food items to avoid||Reasons to avoid|
|Grapes||Dogs should not eat grapes. Grapes and raisins have both proved to be very toxic for dogs no matter the dog’s breed, sex, or age. In fact, grapes are so toxic that they can lead to acute sudden kidney failure. Know more|
|Mushrooms||better avoided. Wild mushrooms can be toxic for dogs. While only 50 to 100 of the 50,000 mushroom species worldwide are known to be toxic, the ones that are can really hurt your dog or even lead to death. Washed mushrooms from the supermarket could be OK, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Know more|
|Onions||Onions, leeks, and chives are part of a family of plants called Allium that is poisonous to most pets, especially cats. Eating onions can cause your dog’s red blood cells to rupture, and can also cause vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, and nausea. Know more|
|Tomatoes||Ripened tomato is generally considered safe for dogs, the green parts of the plant contain a toxic substance called solanine. While a dog would need to eat a large amount for it to make him or her sick, it’s better to skip tomatoes all together just to be safe. Click to Know more|
|Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine||Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems Click to Know more|
|Fish (raw, canned or cooked)||If fed exclusively or in high amounts can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death.|
|Human vitamin supplements containing iron||Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.|
|Milk and other dairy products||Some adult dogs and cats may develop diarrhoea if given large amounts of dairy products. Read Can Dog drink milk?|
|Raw eggs||Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems as well as neurologic abnormalities, but if you get eggs from free range chicken you can safely feed raw eggs including shells|
|Xylitol (artificial sweetener)||Can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure and death.|
Small animal veterinarian for last 20 years. works in self-owned pet clinic in Ranchi, India called Pluto Pet Clinic. Published several articles on pets and social media in various national and international pet magazines, blogs. Part of many international organisations including Nabuur, Mission Rabies, Asian Society of small animal dermatology, WSAVA.