We know that almost all dogs have a seizure at least once, in their lifetime, it may go unnoticed. Sometimes it is just a twitch of muscles, sometimes it is seizure costing the life of poor fellow. I receive calls in the middle of the night from pet parents that their dog is having a seizure, everybody in a house is panicky. Sometimes it is not possible to get immediate veterinary help. Here are some of the things you should know to help a dog having seizure. We won’t dug deep into the subject, just concentrate on the tips to help your dog.
What you can do to help a dog having seizure
- Don’t panic- As I have told in many of my articles that dogs catch our emotions fast, therefore if you become nervous they will become ten times nervous and their illness becomes enhanced.
- Don’t move your dog- Try not moving your dog having a seizure. do not lift him up. If he is in a dangerous place or in a close place where he is likely to hurt himself, hold him by his hind leg and just drag him to a safer place. I have heard from pet parents that a dog has bitten them very badly while he was having a seizure. Probably because they cannot control their body or maybe because they want help.
- Try to put some blanket or pillows around your dog, but be CAREFUL.
- He may defecate or urinate uncontrollably, Therefore put some old newspaper underneath your dog.
Emergency or not
If your dog’s seizure lasts for less than 5 minutes it is not an emergency. If it is more than 5 minutes, then the poor guy may have damage to the brain and it is an EMERGENCY. Rush to a vet immediately.
- Rabies vaccination makes a dog ferocious!!! - January 13, 2018
- Divyansh kennel, Ranchi- Almost all dogs available - January 5, 2018
- Almost all dogs are available in Divyansh kennel, Ranchi !!! - January 4, 2018
- Now Exercise your puppy at home!!! Buy an Exercise Pen - January 3, 2018
- Your Dog farts! Serve food in Slow bowl - January 3, 2018
- Want to prevent unwanted pregnancy in bitches!! - December 31, 2017
- Our client Anushka Moitra - December 17, 2017
- German Shepherd Puppy for paid adoption at Rs 15000 - December 15, 2017
- Rottweiler puppy at rs 11000 - December 3, 2017
- Dog suffered from multiple organ failure just because of wrong feeding - December 2, 2017