I observed that visitor are coming back to this page again and again. This clearly shows how concerned pet parents are to save their dogs suffering from kidney failure, especially from chronic kidney disease(CKD). I can understand the situation when your vet had given up on your dog and you are in despair. It is easy for vets to say that the dog is incurable or he may suggest you a treatment plan that is way too far costly. Let me assure you that kidney failure in the dog is very much curable, in fact, I was able to save many dogs. for this you have to understand few facts.
- Renal failure in dogs is a curse of modern multi billion pet industry.
- excessive medication, using too much feed supplements, many kinds of treats, feeding food high in protein leads to kidney failure among other causes.
What you can do to help your dog
All you can and should do is to reduce your dog’s suffering and prolong his life and health. You may provide a diet with following goals in mind
- Provide adequate nutritional support
- The correct fluid deficit, acid base imbalances and electrolyte abnormalities.
- Reduce symptoms of kidney failure such as vomiting, weakness and dehydration.
- Prolong the life of the dog
- Finally and most importantly – Look for alternative medicines or therapy
Change in diet
I have attempted to formulate some ideal diet for the dog suffering from kidney failure.The protein ingredients should be 2-3 parts of your dog’s diet. Following are the sources of protein, you can serve
The protein ingredients should be 2-3 parts of your dog’s diet. Following are the sources of protein.
- Ground turkey – is also sold in three grades with 1, 7 and 15% fat. If you are not adding additional fat, use the 93/7 or 85/15 turkey for dogs. If you are preparing an extra low-fat diet for your dog, use the 99/1.
- Ground chicken – Ground chicken is about 15% fat. A skinless chicken breast or ground chicken breast comes with 99% muscle meat and 1% fat. Use the same proportion as you did for ground turkey.
Fish and Dairy products
- Fish – the wild fish, especially those caught from cold water, are an excellent source of protein. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon, halibut and orange roughly are also good. Among the three, salmon has the highest omega-3 fatty acid with lowest mercury level.
- Eggs – You can give a whole cooked egg for your dog. It’s an excellent source of protein and fat. The protein content in eggs is very high in quality. Higher than meat, fish and poultry. Eggs are also considered to be a digestive protein source. It helps in easy digestion. Your pet can enjoy the benefits of protein when eggs are cooked, rather than fed raw. Boil the eggs for 12 minutes.
- Dairy – dairy products provide an excellent balance between proteins and calcium. But they contain a substantial amount of fat. Keep track of your pet’s weight. Dry cottage cheese (used for baking) and farmer’s cheese are very low in fat.
Serving your dog with 50-60% meat and 10-15% fat is like getting adequate fat in his diet. When you are on diet for dogs with renal failure, too much fat in your pet’s diet contributes to obesity. The fat content should be 1 part of your dog’s diet.
As mentioned above, carbohydrates should cover only 2 part of your dog’s diet.
- Cooked rice – rice is an excellent source of carbs for your pet. Rice contains protein, phosphorus, some calcium and iron. Unpolished, brown rice preserves more of these nutrients. A highly processed white rice grain won’t give nutritional benefits for your pet.
- Wheat products – you can try adding wheat products like bread and pasta in his diet. Pick a size of pasta your pet likes best.
- Potato – boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates. They are a good source of vitamin B-6, potassium, manganese, copper and dietary fibre. Avoid sprouted potatoes.
Avoid feeding your dog with oatmeal, carrots, sweet peas and pumpkin. These high-fibre carbohydrate ingredients may cause diarrhoea in dogs. As a result, your pet will produce a more bulky stool.
Phosphorus And Kidney Disease
No matter what you feed your dog, make sure to limit the consumption of phosphorus especially on diet for dogs with renal failure. Foods rich in phosphorus include meat, poultry, dairy products, peas and beans. Beef and chicken contain about 8 mg phosphorus/ gram of protein. Whereas low-fat milk has 28 mg phosphorus/ gram of protein. Cooked egg whites have the least content of phosphorus and more protein. In short, a diet with cooked egg is the best diet for your pet.
Eggs are highly digestible proteins. They form a major part of your dog’s diet. Dairy sources of protein are also digestible. Make sure it should be from unpasteurized sources. Poultry is more digestible than red meat. It seems that fresh foods win out over commercial foods, especially in the case of kidney failure.
List of drugs
Finally, I found a few drugs that work wonder on kidney failure. I have found these useful in my practice. It is advisable to discuss these drugs with your vet first and please do not use it on your own.
- Rhubarb extract This is a plant. Its underground stem and root are used to make the drug. I have found this highly effective in curing CKD. You can find more information here.
- Milk Thistle
There are commercial drugs available for the above components. if you want to know the trade for this medicines just ask in the comment section with your email, I will email you the exact name of the drug.
A related video on this
- Is your dog’s nose bleeding ! - October 14, 2017
- Keep your dog calm in Diwali - October 11, 2017
- Labrador Puppy Ranchi - October 11, 2017
- Zamp line German Shepherd Puppy at Patna - October 10, 2017
- पालतू बिल्लियों के देखभाल कैसे करें - October 10, 2017
- High quality Labrador and German Shepherd Pups available - October 9, 2017
- Dog breeder Ranchi- Kumar Dhiraj - October 9, 2017
- Top gun in our clinic - October 9, 2017
- Your German Shepherd or Labrador cannot climb stairs! - October 8, 2017
- Top 5 common health mistakes by pet owners! - October 6, 2017