New pet at home? Read This
After getting a new pet home, we have fun to cuddle our pets. To keep the fun going read this article. This article is a must read for the first time pet owners.
For the first time dog owners, right knowledge is required to raise a puppy at home. Consequently, without the right knowledge, pet parenting may become the worst nightmare. Therefore, here are some points to consider after bringing a puppy home. some of these points are advice based on my experience as a vet and some are feedback from pet owners.
1.What to feed?
Give a proper starter food to eat for the next few weeks until the dog attains 3 months age. This is a time when your puppy is growing very fast. Therefore, a good quality starter food is required to provide ingredients for bones and tooth. How many times to feed?- usually 3 to 4 times is sufficient.
2. Whether to give a bath or not
Certainly not. The puppy’s epithelial or outer layer of skin is devoid of blood supply and depended on blood supply from inner skin. Therefore, bathing dogs very young will make their skin loose moisture and skin problems and hair shedding may occur. It is advised to use a dry bath shampoo and tissue wipes of various companies. When the puppy is very young, there is a chance to catch a cold easily as the immune system of young puppies is weak.
3. Ticks at so young age!!!
Yes, dogs carry ticks from kennels.Therefore, the best thing is to apply a Propoxur anti-tick powder. This powder should be sprinkled on the body of puppy and don’t forget to comb the hair after powder.
First, de-worm the dog with some liquid anthelmintics. Dogs may get an infection from their mother. This applies to kittens as well.
5. Visit a veterinarian
6. Never get puppy less than 35 days old.
Just in case you get puppy less than 35 days old give her a milk replacer diet. There are various many commercially available milk replacer diet.
For Kittens less than the one-month-old only food they should get is mother’s milk. In case mother refuses to feed or become aggressive hand feeding with a bottle is advised. A kitten milk replacer should be given. After one month of age, a proper kitten feed should be given.
Points to remember
To sum up here are some points to remember
- Dogs and kittens take one week to adjust to the new home environment.
- In early days of life, these young pets like their human counterparts tend to sleep more.
- In the first seven days after bringing home a puppy or a kitten, it is advisable to feed a standard starter food to puppy and kitten food to kittens. At this stage never experiment with home food.
- Rabies vaccination makes a dog ferocious!!! - January 13, 2018
- Divyansh kennel, Ranchi- Almost all dogs available - January 5, 2018
- Almost all dogs are available in Divyansh kennel, Ranchi !!! - January 4, 2018
- Now Exercise your puppy at home!!! Buy an Exercise Pen - January 3, 2018
- Your Dog farts! Serve food in Slow bowl - January 3, 2018
- Want to prevent unwanted pregnancy in bitches!! - December 31, 2017
- Our client Anushka Moitra - December 17, 2017
- German Shepherd Puppy for paid adoption at Rs 15000 - December 15, 2017
- Rottweiler puppy at rs 11000 - December 3, 2017
- Dog suffered from multiple organ failure just because of wrong feeding - December 2, 2017